January 23, 2014
KONE Corporation, press release, 23 January 2014
KONE, a global leader in the lift and escalator industry, today revealed its newest innovation in lift modernisation technology, the KONE NanoSpace(TM). It is a machine room-less lift full-replacement solution, where an old lift is replaced by a modern one with the industry's shortest downtime. The new KONE NanoSpace can replace an old lift in as little as two weeks compared to the industry average of six, significantly improving the comfort of residents living in multi-floor buildings. This is enabled by the new innovative technology, optimised installability and streamlined planning process. In addition, KONE NanoSpace offers maximised space efficiency, best-in-class ride comfort and excellent eco-efficiency.
Lift modernisation is an important issue in today's cities where urban infrastructure is ageing. For example in Europe and in the United States, more than half of the lifts in use are over 20 years old*. Modernising a lift enhances safety, accessibility and comfort. As populations age, smooth and convenient people flow becomes essential.
KONE NanoSpace provides up to 50% more space inside the lift compared to older lifts, with no changes to the existing shaft. This is made possible by a highly-compact design and the new KONE HybridHoisting(TM) system, which combines belt and rope technologies in a completely new way - the belt moves the lift and the ropes suspend the car in the shaft. A bigger car, wide-opening automatic doors, smooth levelling, silent operation and visually appealing design matching the building's architecture all further improve the convenience of residents. KONE NanoSpace also significantly reduces energy consumption: the new solution is up to 70% more energy efficient compared to old lifts in use.
"As an innovative company, KONE is constantly looking for better modernisation solutions for our customers and their tenants, improving both products and the processes. In KONE NanoSpace, the heart of the innovation is in the process perfection. We have designed every step of the new replacement process to make lift modernisation as smooth as possible", says Pekka Kemppainen, Executive Vice President for Service Business, KONE Corporation.
Modernisation business accounts for 16% of KONE's global sales. Lift modernisation solutions range from small updates to full-replacement solutions.
"We see a lot of potential in the modernisation business especially in Europe and North America, where the equipment base is rapidly getting older. Also Asia will be an important modernisation market for us in the near future - at the moment, two thirds of the new lift installations are conducted in Asia", continues Kemppainen.
KONE NanoSpace will be available in the European markets during 2014.
For further information, please contact:
Anne Korkiakoski, EVP, Marketing & Communications, KONE Corporation, tel. +358 204 75 4775, email@example.com
Previously published KONE press releases are available at www.kone.com/press.
* European Lift Association (ELA), National Lift Industry, Inc. (NEII)
|What is new with the KONE NanoSpace(TM)lift modernisation solution|
|Industry's shortest downtime
- The new lift can be up and running in as quickly as two weeks, compared to the industry-average downtime of six weeks
- Enabled by the new innovative technology, optimised installability and streamlined process
|Maximised space efficiency
- The most space efficient full-replacement lift solution available in the market
- The size of the lift car can be increased by as much as 50%
- Enabled by thinner balancing weights, smaller pulleys and compact safety devices
- Up to 70% more energy-efficient compared to traditional hydraulic and 2-speed geared lifts
- Improved hoisting system to achieve absolute traction
- Low-energy LED lighting and energy-efficient standby solutions to cut the power consumption
|Best-in-class ride comfort
- A bigger car with wide-opening automatic doors, smooth levelling and silent operation
- Centralised hoisting and load-weighing device guarantee an easy, steady ride
- Pit-based machinery reduces noise in and outside the car
- Aesthetic experience matching the buildings architecture
KONE is one of the global leaders in the lift and escalator industry. The company has been committed to understanding the needs of its customers for the past century, providing industry-leading lifts, escalators and automatic building doors as well as innovative solutions for modernisation and maintenance. The company's objective is to offer the best People Flow® experience by developing and delivering solutions that enable people to move smoothly, safely, comfortably and without waiting in buildings in an increasingly urbanising environment. In 2012, KONE had annual net sales of EUR 6.3 billion and around 40,000 employees. KONE class B shares are listed on the NASDAQ OMX Helsinki Ltd. in Finland.